Monday, July 5, 2021

Slave Owners and Arrogance: Patrick Henry




A few weeks ago, I was reading Patrick Henry's, "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death."  Here's some excerpts from the text:
For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; 
 Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? 
There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable—and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

 Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Is it not fascinating to read these quotes, seeing his passion for freedom? Henry saw England as a slave master. He hated it. He defied it. Which is why I find it laughable, in some ways, because Henry was a slave owner!  

Henry's arrogance was like so many others of his time. Freedom for me, but not for you. Truth be told - Henry was really no different than the very things he despised regarding England. Chains are fine for you, but not for me.

What are your thoughts? And by the way, if you want to read the whole thing, follow this link: Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Scenes: Writer Tools Generator Pack

From the research I've been doing, a lot of fiction story ideas have risen up in my whacky mind. This is the software I use to create ch...