Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Rutland Ohio: The Underground Railroad and the KKK

While researching the "Unsung Heroes" of Meigs County, I discovered something I would have preferred to have left buried in the anus of time. (Yes, I said "anus," not "annals," because of whom I'm about to talk about.) I discovered that the KKK was pretty big in Rutland. I was gobsmacked. How on earth do you go from being a village of abolitionists who risked it all to help runaways, to the KKK?

Obviously, those who were abolitionists didn't become members. (At least I hope not.)  But, what strikes me odd though, is that none of those who became KKK members ratted on the abolitionists when they were actively helping runaways. So, why the change of heart? 

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Scenes: Writer Tools Generator Pack

From the research I've been doing, a lot of fiction story ideas have risen up in my whacky mind. This is the software I use to create ch...